Thursday, March 24, 2011

Ouch! That smarts!

Really not in the mood for posting, but here I go.  

I'm not going to lie.  The retrieval was painful.  I have a pretty high tolerance for pain. For instance, I walked for a week around two years ago with a broken wrist and didn't know.  I just thought it was a bad sprain.  Now, back to the retrieval. 

We arrived about 15 minutes early and were escorted into the recovery room.  There I changed into a gown while Sweets went and did his thing.  The nurse put in the IV and started giving me saline to keep me hydrated.  I've never had an IV before; I did not enjoy it.  When Sweets got back, he changed into scrubs and we were escorted into the procedure room.  It was then that the nurse started to give me the drugs to relax me and numb the pain.  While I didn't even feel the injections into the vaginal wall, I felt a numbing in my lips and tongue.  Then, it was time for the procedure.  


The cool and somewhat icky thing is that you can watch the ultrasound draining each follicle.  There would be this dark blob on the ultrasound, then the needle would pierce it (Ow!! F**k!) and drain it.  Cool but kind of freaky.  Once it was all over, we were informed that 14 eggs had been retrieved.  Fourteen.  Wowza.  Keeping my age in mind, the doctor was quite impressed as he was shooting for 7 and Dr. C. hoped for 10.  Dr. R. said anything over 7 was a bonus.  So for a moment, I'll celebrate that.  I'll find out tomorrow how many are mature and how many fertilize.  I hope the number of eggs doesn't mean that they're poor quality.  I've read differing posts about quantity versus quality.  

Right now, I'm sore.  I ache.  I have a lot of cramping.  It's like a combo of menstrual and gas cramps except it's also uncomfortable walking around.  Sweets has been awesome.  He brought me some Chinese food and cupcakes.  He couldn't sleep at all last night, so he did all of this after being awake for over 24 hours.  I love him so much.  He's my light. 

Please, please let this work.  I don't know if I can do this again - physically, emotionally, monetarily.  This has been exhausting.  

BTW:  Remember that baby I heard crying a while back?  Yup, my neighbour had a baby.  Saw her and her husband pushing their lovely Bugaboo stroller the other day. 

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on making it through the ER and with 14 eggs!!!! Hope for a great fertilization report tomorrow! but for now I guess both you and DH need to get some well deserved rest :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm praying for you and hoping that you get good results.
    Make sure you get enough rest the next couple of days.

    ReplyDelete