Friday, May 13, 2011

Patching it up

Waiting is the name of the game when it comes to dealing with infertility treatments.  We wait for our periods.  We wait for ovulation.  We wait for our betas.  We wait and wait and wait.  This cycle I had to wait an extra week for my period to arrive.  Thankfully she did arrive yesterday, with full force.  So finally I get to start the next phase of my infertility "journey" (more like a marathon).

Yesterday I started my Estradot patches and will increase them incrementally over the next two week.  It goes from one to two to four patches worn at a time. On cycle day 14, May 25th, I head into the clinic for a blood test and ultrasound to see if my uterus is ready for transfer.  Also, I start the crinone suppositories once again.  Then, if all the tests look good, on the 18th day, May 29th, they transfer my singleton embryo into my waiting uterus.  The patches continue until the beta.  

Thankfully it's far less invasive than IVF but the fear and worry still exists.  I'm most anxious about my little frostie.  I read somewhere that I should expect 50% loss of embryos when thawing.  I only have one!  We won't know if it pulled through until the day of transfer.  The nurse provided us with a number to call in the morning so that if the embryo dies, we won't have to drive 40mins only to be crushed.  Please, please, please God.  Please let him survive the thaw.  Please.

On another note, during our last visit to the clinic, nurse Michelle asked that I go for some blood tests - a complete blood cell count and a TSH.  Last Monday, I popped into the lab near my house on my way to work.  My CBC came back with my white and red blood cells came back elevated.  As did the hematocrit (percentage of red blood cells) and neutrophils (a particular type of white blood cell).  According to Dr. Google, these numbers could be anything from dehydration to stress to a bacterial infection to leukemia.  Ugh... Let's add another heaping pile of stress to the stress pie.  Also to add insult to injury, my TSH has jumped from 2.9 in January to 5.2!  I have a family history of hypothryoid.  My father has it, my mother is borderline, my grandmother and two of my aunts have it.  Joy.  Having a messed up thyroid screws with fertility as well.  I

It's difficult to not feel like the deck is stacked against me lately.  But I will soldier on.  What other choice do I have?         

1 comment:

  1. Oh the waiting. I get so frustrating waiting for anything now - even non-fertility. I hope that improves once I'm pregnant.

    It really doesn't get easier does it? Every corner you turn there is something else to worry about. If you're not waiting you're worrying. I'm amazed any babies are born. It seems like such an impossiblity.

    ReplyDelete