Like any good infertile, I googled the crap out of endometrial biopsy. The reactions to the procedure varied from "that was uncomfortable" to "Oh mother of God this hurts". As you can imagine, my mind immediately went to the "this is going to hurt like a mo'fo" side of things. Driving in today, I was terrified. Sweets is in pre-production on a project and could join me so I was on my own today.
The clinic was hopping. There were a ton of people there. Apparently they've just opened up the clinic to a new program "Pelvic Pain" so I assume a number of the people there were not for fertility treatments but rather pain management or relief. I had a bit of a wait so the new demographic in the clinic allowed for some interesting people watching.
Dr. C and I chatted for a bit. I asked him a few more questions regarding more blood work (immunology) as well as the biopsy. He didn't feel that immunity was our issue. And while there is no conclusive evidence that biopsies lead to better implantation numbers, he would perform the procedure because I asked. Further, he feels that within the next two attempts, I will get pregnant. He was confident in fact. I wish I was as confident as him!
The procedure was super quick but quite uncomfortable. He scraped my uterus 5 times. It was if someone took a window scraper and used it to remove the frost inside me. Ugh... With the first application of the instrument, my uterus cramped up and I immediately started perspiring. Thankfully it only lasted a few minutes. If it continued much longer, I think I would have been incredibly vocal about my pain. As soon as the procedure was over, the cramps subsided. While I'm still experiencing some cramping right now, it's incredibly mild.
Dr. C is starting up his own private clinic. Tomorrow is his last day. He encouraged me to remain at my current clinic for my FETs; however, if they are not successful, he stated that if I wanted to move to his clinic, no referral would be necessary. Though I haven't been successful with him, I do trust him. Granted, he's incredibly cerebral, a little awkward and goofy, he has an excellent reputation in the IF community. I feel quite comfortable at my clinic, but I think that if we have to do IVF #3, we'll be moving to Dr. C's new clinic.
I had to wait a while for my nurse's appointment regarding the FET protocol. It's the same protocol as before so nothing to report there.
The highlight of my visit today? My clinic mom Ra.vi was there today. :) She's awesome. As soon as she saw me, she gave me
one of those million dollar smiles and asked how I was doing. Since
there was a backlog of patients today, I had to wait a while to see the
nurse. During my wait, Ra.vi offered me some of her homemade curry and naan. Delicious! Love Indian food. On my way out, Ra.vi was going on her break. We rode down on the elevator today and she gave me a huge hug before exiting.
She made my day. :)
I'm glad it wasn't too too bad. What will they be testing it for?
ReplyDeleteIt bugs me that your doctor verbalizes confidence like that. What does he know now that makes him so sure?
I'm a little paranoid too (okay, overly paranoid) and it makes me wonder if he knows the reason why it didn't work yet and is just keeping you in the game for a while longer.
I'm glad the biopsy wasn't too terribly bad for you. Mine hurt like a SOB but like you said it's over with quickly so it's bearable!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad that you got through it ok. I have had four so far (and am supposed to go for another in November, but the oncologist and obgyn are at odds over this one). All have been horrific. I have screamed out - after the last one, I nearly passed out. every time I have one booked I can't sleep for days before because I now know what kind of pain I will have. I know others who have called it mild menstrual cramps... I'm glad it wasn't horrific for you.
ReplyDeleteI hope your doctor is right and that a baby is in your near future!