Today, in my English 10 class, we discussed Romeo and Juliet. At the beginning of the play, Lady Juliet's mother, Lady Capulet, tries to convince Juliet to marry the County Paris. She remarks that she had had a number of children by Juliet's age (2 weeks shy of 14). Shock and horrified, students tend to find Juliet's age rather unsettling. I reminded them that people died much earlier in the 1500s and for Juliet to not be married already was quite out of the ordinary. A student asked, "What would 13 be then today?" I guessed that it would in the early 20s or so. Considered quite old at that time, Lady Capulet is estimated to be 28 years old or so. Another student piped up, utterly unsolicited, "I think women who have babies when they're 40 is gross." I was quite shocked and had to bite my tongue. Part of me wanted to challenge and question her, "So do you think I'm gross? I'm trying to have a baby and I'm almost 40." But I didn't. I simply said,"Wow that's quite a strong opinion" and then moved on quickly to the next scene of the play.
What else could have been said? It's not as though I'm going to air out my laundry in front of a bunch of 15 year olds who cannot fathom complex issues like pregnancy and infertility. Inappropriate. Unprofessional. But it's been sitting with me. Nagging me. Irritating me like mosquito in my bedroom. Her comment got under my skin. Why would it bother her so? What's the big deal if a woman wants to have a baby at 40? How does it effect her? If she's lucky, she won't have to worry about making babies when she's older. She'll be one of those fortunate ladies who had pockets filled with baby dust. But perhaps not. Statistics tell us that there is a 1 in 10 possibility that one day, she'll be putting on estrogen patches, injecting herself with hormones, obsessively inspecting her panties, peeing on multiple sticks. Who knows? Maybe one day, she'll be a 40 year old weeping in the bathroom because once her body has betrayed her.
As for me, I've been cramping on and off over the past few days. Typically, I cramp a little bit the week before my period arrives. Then just before my period, nothing. No cramps. As soon as I start spotting, the cramps return. I'm trying to be completely zen about this. I'm working hard at not obsessing, keeping myself busy with work and home. I'm supposed to get my beta on the 12th, the same day that AF is due, but the lab is closed on Sundays. Hopefully the wicked witch stays away this time!
Speaking of wicked, I'm off to see Wicked tomorrow with my bff. I've seen it once before in San Diego, but so enjoyed it that I'm going to see it again. Good times. :) And good thing that the hockey match is on Saturday and not tomorrow. It would be IMPOSSIBLE to get around the downtown core. Last night there were an estimated 40,000 people in downtown Vancouver watching the game at outdoor revenues. Nutso! Canucks fever has swept the city!
Gross? Really? I kinda wish you could keep track of this student for the next 20 years or so, and then ask her if she still feels the same way! I remember when 40 seemed SO OLD. Now - not so much!
ReplyDeleteEnjoy Wicked tomorrow! Such a great show - "For Good" is one of my all time favorite songs.
I hate to say this but I probably would have said the same thing when I was 15 and look at me now.
ReplyDeleteMy niece made a comment about one of her friend's mom's who was probably 36 when she had my niece's friend. I said "hey wait a minute I'll be older than that when my kid is 20". Her response "that's different, it's you".
Enjoy Wicked. I've only read the book and loved it.
How short sighted teenagers are. I remember telling my parents that I didn't see any reason to live past 30. They like to remind me of that all the time. Now I feel like 30 was when my life really began.
ReplyDeleteNew follower here and I'm so excited to follow your journey. Much luck for that little embaby inside of you!!!
ReplyDelete