Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Gearing up for FET

An early morning wake up call.  

An hour drive to Women's Hospital with traffic and an accident on the highway.  

Concerns about my TSH levels.  

A bit of a stressful morning today.  

During my IVF cycle, I endeavoured to be the first person in line each morning, as the wait could be quite long for the ultrasound.  Thankfully there were only 3 women ahead.  Unfortunately, I recognized one of the women from my IVF cycle.  She was cycling at the same time.  Sad to know that it didn't work for her either.  

To avoid sitting and waiting in the ultrasound waiting room, I detoured to the front office and forked over my VISA for the $1000 fee for the FET.  Yikes.  While a thousand dollars is nothing in comparison to the costs of IVF, things have been slow for Sweets since his business partner quit.  Although his move to the two, more prestigious, companies brought with it optimism, he has yet to work with these new companies.  Tiny projects here and there, but still, no significant pay cheques since December.  Needless to say, infertility and financial woes does not make for a stress-free life.  Thankfully, things appear to be picking up for him.  

The wait in the ultrasound section wasn't too long.  I was pleased to see my favourite nurse and doctor present today.  She was full of smiles and encouragement during my IVF cycle.  She's like a cinnamon bun - comforting, gooey, and warm.  And Dr. R's bed side manner set me at ease.  I reminded him of his comment of my "Mick Jagger smile" uterus.  He actually appeared to be embarrassed when I mentioned it.  I reassured him that it brought levity to a stressful situation and I was grateful for his humour.  

All in all, the ultrasound went well.  My ovaries were "perfectly normal" according to Dr. R.  My uterine lining was at 9mm.  While finishing up, I mentioned to the doctor that my last blood test demonstrated an increase in my TSH.  His concern was quite obvious; it was written all over his face.  He made sure that the nurses double checked with the lab that they were testing my T3 and T4 levels as well, but he asked that I check in with the nurses before I left.  Just a few hours ago, I received the "We're good to go" phone call.  I guess I can assume that my blood work came back a-okay.  

Sunday's the day.  While my emotions are still heightened, I'm not as invested in this process as I was with IVF which is totally understandable.   Now, hopefully, my little guy will survive the thaw and in 9 months time, make me a mommy.  

Wish me luck.  

Send me prayers.  

And I promise to do the same for you.    

4 comments:

  1. Kanis, lots of prayers, thoughts, wishes, vibes, energy and everything else your little guy needs to make it safe inside your tummy and for the ensuing 9 months!!!

    we are also proceeding with FET with my next AF and I am hoping beyond hope that it will work for both of us. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you the most luck and lots and lots of prayers. I can understand not being "as invested", probably because you didn't go through the entire phase of bcp's and stimming and all the bloodwork and ultrasounds with follicle reports every day. But you did go through this months ago and it's really no different now. Your little guy was just hanging out, waiting for the right time to go back home.

    And what a relief that your TSH levels were OK, huh? I'm sure that had you plenty worried, but it must be in good levels now, or they would have said something. So *whew*!

    Keep us posted on everything! I will be praying for you..:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you all the best. I hope we both get BFPs this cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dah, I was reading this earlier at the airport and just now realized we'll have a transfer on the same day. I'm really excited now. I just love the connection when you start day 1 with someone or now have a transfer the same day.

    ReplyDelete