Wednesday, January 2, 2013

New Year. New Clinic. Old Doubts.

When I was little, I thought that in the year 2013 we would all be in flying cars or using teleportation to travel the world.  While we're still far away from flying cars and such, it doesn't seem like it's so far away.  Everything in Sta.r Tr.ek seems like a possibility.  Hopefully women in 2033 won't struggle with pregnancy as so many women do today.  Hopefully there will a be a sure fire way to make sure that only those who choose not to have children will be childless.  

This month I start my final attempt at IVF.  Sweets and I always stated that we would give it three attempts and this is our last one.  We had our meeting with the nurse at the clinic last month to go over all the schedule, the medications, and the paperwork.  For some reason, though I've done this before, it all seems more convoluted and is causing more anxiety than before.  There is more medication to be taken and the costs are so much more than the public clinic I went to before.  I have an appointment at the clinic tomorrow for a hysteroscopy.  At that time, I can ask for more clarification on my schedule and the blood tests I need before we get started.   

Even though I'm confused, this is what I do know:

  • When we had an ultrasound on Dec 17th, they found 8-9 follicles.  Not a lot but average for a 40 years apparently.  I was at the end of my cycle.  Does that make a difference?   
  • In January, I'll begin using estrace.
  • In mid-Feb, I begin menopur (never used it before) and puregon.  
    • Though I was a high responder at my old clinic, for some reason they feel that I'll need a lot of meds now?  I'm a little confused about this part.  I guess they're assuming with my age, I'll need high doses of medication.  Can so much change in a couple of years?  How do I go from moderate doses to high doses?  Perhaps they're just playing it by ear until they see how I respond. 
  • First week of March is the estimated time for retrieval .   
I know it's been a while since I've posted or even read up on the blogs.  Like many, when I'm not in the midst of treatments, I don't want to think about infertility.  It's too painful.  I've tried to just live my life these past few months.  And in that time, 4 of my high school classmates have given birth - they're all the same age as me.  Three boys and one girl.  I've got to believe that this will happen for us.  That Sweets and I will be parents one day.  There is so much anxiety around this one because it is the last attempt.  If this doesn't work, then Sweets and I will have to make peace with the fact that we'll never be parents.  I pretend to be okay with it but I'm not.   

I noticed that some bloggers may have left.  Does anyone know if Evelyn is still around?  I tried to find her blog, but couldn't. 

Happy New Year everyone.  
On the plus side, our house got the vasilopita coin.  Good luck? 




17 comments:

  1. I don't know much about IVF, but I do know that my clinic has told me that I'd do a microflare protocol, which is lower doses of stims than the standard IVF, which my RE says works better for us older women. If you aren't comfortable with your protocol, ask to talk to your doc. If it's your last shot, you don't want to have any regrets.

    Sending up prayers that this cycle is the one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely have a chat with my RE. Thanks for your prayers. :)

      Delete
  2. Hey there! Just found your blog through Sprout's... excited to see you'll be doing an IVF round in the coming months, as I'm just starting my first. Have you been on Estrace before? I recently wrote about my horrific experience with it... but the other drugs should be A-OK. :) In any case, glad I found ya -- fingers crossed 2013 is your lucky year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was on it for my last FET. I didn't have any reactions to it. Here's hoping 2013 is a lucky year for all of us!

      Delete
  3. Great to hear from you, Kanis. Happy New Year!

    I am happy that you are beginning another cycle. They probably want to start with high doses and adjust down if needed based on your response. I did badly on micro-flare, but really well on Estrogen Priming. So it all depends. Also, I have taken a ton of Estrace and had no problem at all, so dont worry. Did not have issues with Menopur either.

    BTW Evelyn's moved her blog to WordPress. You can email her from her old blog contact to give access.

    All the best. Will be sending you good thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Sunflower. For my last two IVFs, I was on an antgonist protocol. The second was more "successful" than the first when it came to quality of embryos. Hopefully with all the supplements and the new drugs, this will be the most successful!

      Delete
  4. Sending you good thoughts. I didn't do the egg stimulation but I have read that some of the meds are meant to increase the quality of the eggs and not just quantity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's good to see you back, though I completely understand the need to step away when you weren't actively trying. I'll be sending you lots of good thoughts for your upcoming IVF.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad to see you back. I've done a menopur and puregon protocol. I hope the anxiety passes before the cycle starts. I'm sure it will. The menopur resonstitutes like HCG so once you do the first one it will all seem normal.

    I've moved to a new blog on wordpress. I'm not sure if/how the commenting will work but I think you should be able to follow my comment over to my new blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you posted! Funny, as soon as I finished posting, my anxiety levels shot through the roof. I'm thinking I may take the clinic up on the free counselling this time around.

      Delete
  7. Good luck on your next cycle. I am not sure exactly what additional meds they have given and what doses but either way yes, your body can change that much in a few years. My RE told me once you get older every month counts...sucks!

    I also agree with Shannon and if you are uncomfortable, please talk to your doctor about different protocols.

    I am praying that this is it for you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so funny. I had asked my RE if a couple of months would make a difference (we had discussed doing treatment for Nov/Dec) and he said that it wouldn't! Ugh! Why do they provide contradictory info? That's for your prayers. :)

      Delete
  8. I'm happy I fell upon this blog. I related to your profile. I found love & marriage older. I've done 6 IUI's, and have had 3 miscarriage and one D&C.Still, my baby dreams are very much alive. Its a new year and have an appointment for IVF consultation in a couple of weeks and I found this very helpful. My prayers your way for baby/babies in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi we are in the same boat at the same time, so happy I found you, starting estrace Friday 18th, then menopur and bravelle, I am 42. Are you going to stay at Genesis?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I plan on staying at my current clinic. My other clinic closed last year so I'm not prepared to move to another one again. Plus, I really like Dr. N. He gave me hope.

      Delete