This morning there was an interesting documentary on HBO called "12th & Delaware". In a nutshell, the documentary was about the abortion debate in the United States. Please note, I'm not debating abortion. Not opening up a can of worms here. I'm simply commenting about something I saw in the film.
In one portion of the film, there was a woman speaking. Her face was blocked out to protect her anonymity. In the scene, she spoke with one of the nurses at the clinic. Frightened and in shock, her voice quivered as she explained that she just discovered she's pregnant. It is unexpected. Now, I'm sure you're visualizing a young 20-something woman aren't you? Someone who may have been "caught up in the moment" with her boyfriend and didn't use a condom. Someone who didn't take her birth control pills properly.
No.
She's forty-seven years old and this is an unwanted pregnancy. Forty-seven and she's pregnant. Naturally. I'm sure she assumed that she couldn't get pregnant anymore. Yet there she is.
Three years short of her 50th birthday and she's pregnant.
Naturally.
No IUIs.
No hormone injections.
No daily visits with the vagcam.
No retrievals nor transfers.
No suppositories.
No BFN.
Naturally.
And I was jealous.
How sad is that?
I envy her, too.
ReplyDeleteUghhh!! Isn't Murphy's Law a GIANT cosmic F-you!!
ReplyDeleteB/C if we had, had our babies in our 20's and we were done having children and they were all off at college I guarantee you the same thing would happen...but b/c we waited we get a GIANT cosmic F-you!!
It's not sad, it's understandable. I'm jealous hearing about it. I wonder what she would think if she was reading our blogs. Funny, her reaction sounds like many of my worst infertility days.
ReplyDelete