Sunday, August 4, 2013

Unforgettable summer

It's been a very interesting summer.  And not interesting in a good way.

First off, it's been very much a roller coaster regarding my father's health.  My parents were here for more tests to find out how far the cancer had progressed.  It was difficult to see my father, a big, strong man, look so frail.  While they were here, my miscarriage started.  My mom knew but my dad didn't so when the nurse asked my dad if he would be around any pregnant women after his PET scan, he looked and me and shook my head. 

The results from the PET scan were not good. We had originally be told the tumour was small but it's actually 7cm.  It hasn't spread; it's only in the pancreas.  My dad starts a very aggressive chemotherapy regiment next week.  We're all hoping for the best but we know that statistics for pancreatic cancer.  I made a deal with my dad that next July we'll go to Hawaii.  We'll celebrate our 10th anniversary and they can celebrate their 50th.  He seemed to like that idea.

With my dad's condition, I had planned to drive home to visit them.  Unfortunately last week, I fell and broke my ankle.

My husband took me to the ER where we waited for for about 5 hours to see a doctor.  I was ready to go home when finally they called my name.  Our city's ER is busiest in all of our province. I had recommended that we go to a smaller hospital but Sweets, thinking that the new ER was open, insisted.  At first, I didn't believe the doctor when he said it was broken.  I insisted on seeing the X-ray. I was convinced it was just a bad sprain.  But soon enough I was being wheeled upstairs to the orthopaedic surgical ward and into a room.  

After kissing Sweets good night and sending him home, I was given morphine for the pain and fell into a restless sleep.  I discovered quickly that morphine and I do not mix.  I couldn't hold anything down even with the gravol.  Sunday was spent sleeping and trying to make conversation with my BFF and husband. Thankfully on Monday I was slated in for survey first thing in the morning.  I've never had surgery before.  Going under was an interesting experience.  On Tuesday, once I proved that I could use my crutches, I was discharged.  

I had hoped to go back to work by Thursday (summer school) but soon realized that was unlikely.  The pain is just brutal.  And trying to find a comfortable position to sleep in is impossible.  Still, I'm going to get off my butt and go to work on Tuesday.  I asked the principal for a wheelchair for my room and the elevator key.  My BFF will drive me to and from work.  I'm a little nervous because Sweets goes out of town for 5 days for work.  I hope I can take care of myself while he's gone. 

The staples come out next week.  And the following week I have an appointment with the surgeon.  Hopefully I can get one of those air casts so I can start putting weight on my foot.  

It's incredibly annoying to be so dependent but what is most frustrating is that my plan to drive up to see my parents is now ruined.  I really wanted to be there to help out my mom while my dad is going through his therapy. Very frustrating. 

I don't know when I'll be able to start driving again.  



8 comments:

  1. First, I know two people who are both in remission after having been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer over the last two years, so DEFINITELY keep the hope!!

    So sorry to hear about your ankle too, what a pain (literally and figuratively!)

    Take a deep breath and take care of yourself <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope dad responds well to treatment. Having worked in cancer (not clinically) I know that the folks who treat patients are very dedicated and focused on getting the patient well and keeping them as comfortable as possible during treatment. I'm sure he's in good hands.

    Ouch on your ankle. I wish I lived closer so I could help you out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! I am so sorry that things are so stressful and painful right now. You and your family will be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry for all that is happening. The part about your dad brought me to tears. It's never easy but especially hard when they aren't right there. I will say a prayer and I am looking forward to all those pictures from Hawaii! hang in there girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sending all my prayers to your dad!!

    And breaking your ankle sucks! It just sucks out loud!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sending lots of prayers and good wishes to your Dad as he starts treatment. Sorry to hear about your ankle, I hope it heals quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. infertility for easy Conception. (No more adoption, with Dr Itua your problem will solve and you will have your child with ease.I have been blog Sites for a while now and today i felt like i should share my story because i was a victim too. I had endometriosis for 18 years and i never thought i would ever get a cure due to the terrible symptoms i had and this made it impossible for me to get pregnant even after 12 years of marriage and it was a serious issue. I got to know about Dr. Itua on Blog Site who treated someone and the person shared a story of how she got a cure and let her contact details, i contacted Dr. Itua and he actually confirmed it and i decided to give a try too and use his herbal medicine that was how my burden ended completely. My son will be 2 this december and i am gratetful to God and thankful to his medicine too.Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Desease…Cancer,Hiv,Herpes,Epilepsy, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetis,Fribroid,Get Your Ex Back, If you have (A just reach his on (drituaherbalcenter@gmail. com Or Whatsapp Number..+2348149277967)He can also advise you on how to handle some marital's issues.He's a good man.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 玩美女人影音秀-同城聊天室
    9158虛擬視訊-能看啪啪福利的直播app下載
    live173視訊-韓國美女主播視訊聊天室
    show live影音視訊網-ut視訊聊天室福利視頻
    showlive影音視訊聊天網-聊天室福利在線視頻
    台灣辣妹視訊聊天室-一對多聊天室福利
    成人視訊-午夜激情直播間
    性愛視訊-午夜視頻聊天軟件
    85街-裸體美女視頻(無內褲)
    85街論壇85st-色情真人秀場聊天室
    打飛機聊天室色女生的qq午夜美女真人聊天室愛上擼成人網愛色吧成人影院色情視訊
    真人美女視頻聊天網站情人緣同城交友網六間房同城聊天室免費a片不用註冊情人視訊聊天網
    同城異性交友網成人視頻交友網美女視頻六間房聊天室女性異性按摩視頻痴漢成人網情人視訊
    免費陪聊視頻網語音視頻聊天網站台灣辣妹視訊聊天室愛伴遊網show love 視訊情人網
    同城床友交友網王朝聊天室破解台灣美女腿模視頻長沙包養網美女絲網套感圖片視訊情人

    ReplyDelete