Friday, August 3, 2012

Different ranges?


I am obsessing.  I know that I'm obsessing.  


Dr. Goo.gle has both been a shining light and a dismal corridor when it comes to researching betas.  What I wonder about is why the huge difference in HCG ranges?  


The lab that did my test has the following for their point of reference.


0 - 1 Week: 5-50 
1 - 2 Weeks: 40-300
2 - 3 Weeks: 100-1000
3 - 4 Weeks: 500-6000


Now, is this according to the last menstrual period or ovulation?  It does not specify.  If it's post ovulation, then I would fall in the 1-2 week range.  If it's according to my cycle, then my beta is far too low to be considered viable.          


Then I found the BC Biomedical Reference guide for all their tests.  Currently I'm about 4 weeks from my last menstrual period (LMP).  


Here are their ranges. 



Time after LMP Expected Range
3rd week (6-71)
4th week (10-750)
5th week (217-7138)


I don't get it.  Why such a difference?    


I hope to God that I can get a second beta on Saturday.  It sucks being in limbo.  





7 comments:

  1. I am so sorry you are going through this uncertainty. I have been there and its tough. One cannot help but scour the internet and some of the data does not make sense. I really hope you can get in for a test tomorrow. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Step away from google. The ranges are so vast b/c there is no number set in stone. Millions of women have had millions of babies all with different numbers. Some super high, some super low.

    Your number is in the middle. It is not too low.

    All you can do now is embrace the fact that you are pregnant. Try to enjoy it.

    You can't control what happens next one way or the other so embrace where you are now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm confused by that vast range of numbers, too. :S

    I know it's hard not to obsess and worry, so I won't even tell you not to. Of course it's going to be all you can think about until your next beta. I'll be sending you lots of positive thoughts and keeping my fingers crossed that your next result shows a very nice doubling time.

    Hang in there. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your first chart would have to be after ovulation, not after LMP. It does not make sense that you anyone would have a beta of 5 - 50 before they ovulated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's another chart that says an even wider range for each week: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_HshTMYttcWs/SeDTb5iGHYI/AAAAAAAACLM/H6LFntwSUyY/s400/hCG+levels.jpg

    According to that one, you're pretty good. The thing I hate most about all of this is the not knowing. I found it to be a factor during my whole pregnancy - first the first few weeks, then as it was more established but not "in the clear", and then during the middle, and then at the end, and even when I was waiting to go into labour. You gain or lose symptoms, you cramp, you feel different things... and then you go to Google and it's absolutely no help AT ALL - it could mean this, or it could mean this. All I wanted was something to say, "everything's all right and will continue to be so, you can relax".

    ReplyDelete
  6. the medical community cannot make it easy for us can they? I'm sorry that it's all so confusing. I hope it all works out and that the plus sign stays for the next 9 or so months! I hope they get you in for another beta before your trip. Fingers crossed that good things come of this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been in the same limbo and it gnaws at you, constantly. Google won't help and it'll probably just make you stress more so stop that. I think the reason for the wide ranges is that some people are high and some are low and nothing is written in stone.

    ReplyDelete