- person vs. person
- person vs. society
- person vs. nature
- person vs. supernatural
- And last but not least, person vs. self.
Our IVF consult today was hopeful, overwhelming and a wee bit confusing. At first we thought that our issues were as a result of male factor, but after today, it appears we're just one of those couples with "unexplained infertility". He really didn't see why we could get pregnant. Anyway, looking at all our of results, the RE recommended split IVF/ICSI with an antagonist protocol.
The next few months will be a combination of oral contraceptives and injections. Starting my next cycle, I'll be on birth control pills (BCP). Then I'll be taking either Gonal F or Puregon to stimulate my ovaries for about 8 days. At some point in that time frame, I get a shot of to suppress an LH surge (ovulation). Then when the eggs are ready to go, I get another shot which completes the maturation of the eggs. Soon after that, Sweets and I go into for the retrieval. They take out my eggs, and he provides a sample. Then they do their magic in the lab. If all goes well, we'll have about 10 eggs. Five will go through the IVF process - one egg, one dish, sperm. Five eggs will have ICSI done - a sperm injected into the egg. We're looking at a day 3 transfer.
Overall, the doctor said I have about 30-40% chance of pregnancy. Now, it doesn't seem like a lot but a regular, fertile couple has a 33% chance of pregnancy every month. So really, it's not that bad. I just hope we'll be carry the little pumpkin to term. That'll be the scariest part I think.
![]() |
| This is what 10 mm looks like. |
We then met with the nurse who walked us through some of the paperwork and medications. She also gave us a quick tour of the facility.
So the countdown starts once again. The thing about infertility is that there is a A LOT of waiting. And sadly, time is not on our side.

Hey, I do remember this from my grade 10 or 11 English class :) and it's been so long ago!.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on getting your protocol!!! You should check with your RE about your follicle count, if you are interested. The lesson I've learned from my first IVF is to ask lots of questions before and during the cycle.
By the way, I did give you a little award on my blog, so come over and take a look. :)