For a moment there I thought I was going crazy. As I cuddled in front of the fire place with a pile of essays, I heard a baby crying. What? A baby? Where? Naturally I got out of my chair and looked outside to see if there were any mommies with their strollers, but no. Just a boy and his dog playing in the frigid Arctic air. Now, I know that my neighbours across the way had/adopted a baby in the summer, but there would be no way that I could hear the baby now. For the past few days, we've suffered a cold snap so essentially the whole lower mainland have either been on top of mountains or shut indoors. So how could I hear a baby crying through closed windows from across the street? Plus, this was a newborn's cry. Very different from a baby that's a few months old. As far as I know, no one else around us looked even remotely pregnant.
Well, I guess I was wrong.
The neighbour we share a wall with (we're an end unit), must have had a baby recently cause that's where the baby cries were coming from. The last time I saw her, really saw her, was in the summer and she did not look pregnant at all. But, that was 5 months ago, so it's very possible that she was pregnant at the time.
Could I be any more surrounded by fertile people? This is torture for those of us who are infertile. From all the bloody Facebook announcements of pregnancy - there have been 7 announcements in 2 months! Most of those were within a 3 week period. Everyone is getting pregnant except me. Even my friend E who has seriously abused her body for the last 20 years with food and alcohol, went through a difficult gastric bypass surgery, lost 150lbs, and got accidentally "knocked up" by her boyfriend. Ugh. Then there's my friend S, who thought she didn't want to be a parent. Well, pregnant on the FIRST IUI. No drugs. No nothing. First time, and she's 40 years old.
I'm coming off as really bitter right now. But I can't help it. I'm surrounded by Fertile Myrtles and I'm the odd one out.
No comments:
Post a Comment