It's been difficult to find reasons to be grateful lately. I have more than my fair share of shit to deal with. But setting that aside, I am incredibly grateful to live in Canada.
In 1970, my parents, along with my big brother who was 4 at the time, moved to Canada to build a new life. While working in a paper mill in Finland, my father saw an ad to come help start up a new paper mill in Canada. he jumped at the opportunity. My mother was less than enthusiastic. When they landed and were driving on the employee bus to town, all my mom saw were trees. Rows and rows of trees. Mountains. Rivers. Streams. No people.
Having lived in a very urban area in Finland, my mom was shocked. She looked at my father and demanded, "What kind of hell have you brought me to?" The plan was to stay for two years, build up a solid savings, and move back home to Finland. Two years later, I arrived. The talks of moving back ended. Canada gave my parents opportunities that they may not have had in Finland. My mother stated that they wouldn't have been able to afford a second child if they had remained in Finland. There would have been no me.
Happy birthday Canada. Thank you for giving my parents a wonderful opportunity.
It's been tough since the D&C. I've had to remind myself frequently that life isn't total crap. Dealing with the miscarriage is tough enough but then at school we lost 3 students in a month. Two in a drowning and one from a form of juvenile Huttington's. The school was thrown into emotional chaos. My school is recognized as inner city, and we have all the issues that inner city schools have. Those students who were walking a fine line between success and failure suddenly dropped off. It was difficult to watch my students struggle.
Last week was one of the worst weeks of my life. My father has been ill. He suffers from pancreatitis and has had pain for the past year. But lately something has changed. He went for a biopsy on Father's Day. Last week the tests came back.
Pancreatic cancer. Fuck. Pancreatic fucking cancer. I have never heard of any survivors of pancreatic cancer. All the "celebrities" that I know who have had it die. Steve Jobs. Randy Pausch. Patrick Swayze. Pavarotti. Cancer sucks but this type cancer fucking sucks. Seventy-five percent die in the first year of diagnosis.
On the plus side, the growth is small - less that 2cm. And it hasn't spread anywhere else. It's just in the pancreas. My dad will be coming down south for some more tests in a little over a week. All I can do is be hopeful and optimistic. I have to be strong for my dad.
Even though it's been a tornado of crap in my life lately, I do have some good news. Today I took a cheapie HPT and it came back positive! The line is light so that's a wee bit disconcerting. So I'll be going to the store and purchasing some more tests just to make sure. I've read that after a D&C implantation is more likely. To be honest, I didn't think a natural pregnancy would be possible! With Sweets's slow swimmers, I didn't think we could actually get pregnant without assistance.
Of course the fear has already creeped into my mind and I'm doing my best to keep it at bay. According to my calculations, I'm 5 weeks today. Fortunately I have a doctor's appointment already scheduled for Thursday. I'll ask for a beta then. Hopefully the numbers are awesome.
We all need some good news right now and this is the best news for our family right now. It's a freaking awesome surprise.

I am so so sorry to hear about your dad. Cancer sucks and when you know it is something that cannot be treated it makes it that much more heartbreaking. Sending you lots of prayers that he beats the odds and comes out of it victorious. I am so excited for your BFP!! Sending you lots of sticky vibes and prayers for a great Beta on Thursday!
ReplyDeleteI've been thinking about you since you last post. It's good to hear from you. Very sorry to hear about your dad and will pray that he does beat the odds. Fantastic news for your BFP!!!
ReplyDeleteBeen wondering how you were doing. So very sorry to hear about your Dad. From what your describe, he seems to be such a strong person and I pray that strength helps him in this difficult time.
ReplyDeleteOMG -- a natural BFP!!! I am so excited for you. Do keep us updated!
Congratulations! Hopefully you'll get a really good beta. I had faint lines. The control line was always darker than the test line, and I was worried. But it turned out okay, so try not to worry too much.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry to hear about your dad. Hopefully because it is small and localized he will have a better outcome.
I'm sorry to hear about your dad. I hope that turns into good news too.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the positive test. An amazing bright light in a otherwise terrible week.
OMG that is so freakin awesome!!
ReplyDeleteI am sending out prayers for your father! HUGS!!
ReplyDelete