I know the title sounds oh so intriguing but really it's not.
On several occasions, when I've gone in for my RE visits, scans and so forth, the doctors question my age. This morning the RE looked at me and asked my age. She seemed shocked to hear that I would be turning 41 in May.
It's nothing new.
Most people are deceived by my appearance. I'm often told I look in my early 30s rather than my early 40s. Perhaps that's why for some, when the issue of children comes up in conversation, they often say to me "Oh, you've got tons of time." Little do they know that we've been on this IF journey for about 5 years now and really, age hasn't much to do with it. Well, it does now but when we started TTC it wasn't about age.
On top of complimenting my youthful appearance, the doctor also commented on my "picture perfect" uterus. I've heard that before! My right ovary is the dominant one with approximately 6 follicles - 3 at 17mm and the rest varying from 13-15. The left side, once again, is taking its own sweet time. All of the follicles are between 13-15mm. I believe there were only 4 on that side. As a result, the doctor asked that I stim for one more day (today) and return tomorrow for another u/s.
Saturday will be retrieval and I'm not sure when our transfer will be. People at the clinic have had 2 day, 3 day, and 5 day transfers. I guess it all depends on the embryos. Emergency ICSI is on the table but seeing as how we didn't need it for our last IVF, I'm hoping we won't need it this time either.
I'm tired of needles and am so looking forward to this portion of the cycle to be over. Ugh.
Don't worry. You still young and quite capable of having a child!!!
ReplyDeleteI had my little girl in November and I am 41 years old. Will be 42 in May.
I did all of the fertility treatments too and it didn't work for me. I got tired of all of the needles and ultrasounds and decided to go all natural way and took Fertilaid which luckily got pregnant 3 months later.
I wish you luck this cycle and hope that your picture perfect uterus does it's job!! :)
Thank you. DH has been on Fertilaid for the past few years Unfortunately it hasn't helped. My RE has me on Coq10, myo-inositol, and folic acid. I'm hoping they'll lead to excellent embryos this time.
DeleteI am hoping and praying with you! I understand how hard it is. *hugs*
DeleteNo offense to PP, but you are the exception NOT the rule.. There are a TON of women out there that do/did have to worry and weren't quite capable of having a child.. Most of the Infertility blogs have the ttc history and a quick glance shows you that it wasn't simple at all, especially if they are still trying... Kanis this stim cycle seems like it is going well thus far.. I think the extra day will help the slower growing follicles catch up... Sending so growing vibes your way for those follicles!
ReplyDeleteI've been feeling a lot of pangs on the left side. So here's hoping the soft ones on the left are catching up! :)
DeleteI get that "You're still young!" line all the time. I keep saying to myself - over and over again - that they mean well, and it's a heck of a lot better than people thinking I'm 10 years older than I am! LOL
ReplyDeleteIt sounds as though your cycle is going very well - I've got my fingers and toes crossed for you - don't forget to post after your retrieval!
I know that first poster meant to be encouraging, but I hate it when people say, "It happened for me. Don't worry! You'll be fine!" For some reason it bothers me less when people says something like, "There is still hope - it worked for me, I hope you'll be as lucky as I was!" Which is silly, because both times the person saying it is trying to be encouraging, and help you maintain hope...but there's just something about the whole "don't worry, it'll all be fine" statements that rub me the wrong way.
I'll be sure to post about the retrieval. I'm quite intrigued really. This cycle has been quite different so I'm really curious to see what effect it has had.
DeleteYou're almost there! It's so deceiving when everyone else thinks young appearance and young age equals "lots of time." Wishing you an excellent retrieval and perfect embryos to transfer.
ReplyDeleteThank you! For a while there, it felt like the injections would never end. :P
DeleteTo those who commented about my comment.....No need to take my comment the wrong way AND you do not now me or my circumstances of how " lucky" I am. If you did, you would not consider me lucky. I was in the same place as the author but since I had a child, how dare I reply? What is wrong with encouraging someone?? I was simply sayig that she is not too old!!!! And she is not! get off of your high horse and stop being bitter.
ReplyDeleteThinking of you ((HUGS))
ReplyDelete