Tuesday, February 26, 2013

A 5 Day What?

I shouldn't have gone into work yesterday.  I really shouldn't have.  The recovery from this retrieval has been a lot longer than my past retrievals.  Believe me, I have no martyr complex. But I do take my job rather seriously.  Well, more like I'm such a narcissist.  I think my classroom will fall apart if I'm not there. 

 My venture into work yesterday had less to do with fears of classroom chaos and more to do with my student teacher.  She's been struggling. In fact, I worry that only 3 weeks into her practicum that she's plateaued.  Lately her planning has been shoddy. Her delivery of the lesson has been dry. Her clarity of instructing has been confusing.  I knew that her faculty advisor was coming in to give her a "notice of concern."  Essentially she needs to improve over the next week or she'll be removed from the class and have to take additional courses.  I really didn't want to go into work but I knew she would need some support after her meeting.  And I was right.  After the tears were shed, the two of us sat down and planned a lesson together. I wanted her to see my thinking when it comes to planning a lesson. How to scaffold skills. How to provide feedback in an instant.  When we were done, I *think* she got it.  Hopefully this week she'll find her stride.

For me, yesterday was uncomfortable. Walking down the halls, the stairs, I could feel every twinge.  I decided to take the rest of the week off.  While I know it's for the best, I feel so much guilt about not being in my classroom. 

This morning I received the call from the embryologist. The embryos are progressing well - "very good" were her words.  As a result, they're pushing my transfer to day 5.  What?! I've never had a day 5 transfer.  Needless to say, I'm in shock.   To be honest, I half expected a day 2 transfer and assumed it would be a day 3.  Perhaps all those supplements really did help? 

8 comments:

  1. I think it's wise that you decided to take the rest of the week off. And how wonderful that your embryos are doing so well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry you are still not feeling well. It must be also hard knowing you can't completely relax if your classroom isn't being taken care of properly in your absence. I am glad you are taking the time to relax though and your embabies are doing so well! I think a 5 day transfer is much more common than a Day 2 or 3. At least it was at the 3 different RE offices that I have been to :) Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too think it's best that you have the rest of the week off to rest and recover. I am so happy to hear that the embryos are doing so well..this is great news! Thinking of you and sending you much love! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Day 5 - yay! I was so hoping givEN your number of embies that they would push it out. Chances are SO much better with Day5. I have a really good feeling about this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am beyond excited for you!!!! So, Thursday it is. We will be praying so hard for ya'll and your embryos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yay yay yay!!!!! This is wonderful news! Still sending up prayers for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Day 5 is excellent. I've never had a day 5 but I always thought it would feel like one less thing to worry about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! This is great news! I took yesterday and today off from teaching after my egg retrieval on Monday. I was feeling guilty also, but it's better to take the time off than end up in the hospital, right?

    ReplyDelete