Today was the day of my transfer. The horrendous traffic, the pathetic clinic parking (seriously were the spots made for Sma.rt Cars?), and my burgeoning bladder could not dampen the awesome news we received once we got to the clinic. Once I was settled in with the sarong on, the nurse informed us that we were going to be transferring 2 excellent blastocysts and that the remaining 7 were still in culture in the lab. Wow! I have never had that many embryos make it to day 5. In the past, the majority stopped developing at this point.
When we got into the transfer room, Dr.K was there to greet us. It's been strange to have the same doctor throughout the whole cycle. Dr. K did my ultrasounds, retrievals, and now my transfer. To add to my excitement, both Dr. K and the embryologist commented on the quality of the embryos as well. When I asked abut transferring 3 embryos, Dr. K explained quite clearly as to why they wanted to avoid transferring 3. The biggest concern is that if all embryos took, then it would lead to a high risk pregnancy. Totally understandable.
Now where does Co.rnell come into play? While we were waiting for the embryos, I remarked how impressed I was that so many embryos had made it to day 5. Dr. K, who is now the owner and director of this clinic, brought in one of Nor.th Ame.rica's best embryologists from Cor.nell to train the people in her lab. When she studied at Cor.nell, she made this connection and as a result was able to bring him in. Very cool. This clinic is one of the best known in Canada and it appears that Dr. K wants to take it to the next level.
And so now the dreaded two week wait begins. I'm trying not to get my hopes up but I must admit, they are. I hope one of those embabies sticks. I hope that in the fall we'll be parents. I hope that my parents will finally be grandparents.
BTW: remember how I went into work on Monday because my student teacher had been struggling? Well she emailed me last night to let me know that she's withdrawing from the program. I think it's for the best. I could tell her heart wasn't into it. And teaching isn't as easy as some think it is.
![]() |
| Upper Right is the 2BB. Lower one is 4BB. |

Wow! That's such great news about all of your embryos! Very exciting. I hope your two transfers are starting to settle in nicely. :)
ReplyDeleteThank you. I'm trying to very "zen" and calm about this. Hopefully these boys stick!
DeleteThese are gorgeous looking embryos, Kanis. I am so excited for you and will be anxiously waiting for your TWW to pass quickly. Great news on the others too.
ReplyDeleteI am in awe of you because I was in my early 40's when I did my IVF and got a paltry 6 eggs and 2 fertlized...so your results are totally awesome !!!!
I am pretty shocked about this myself. For all my cycles, I've had a decent number of eggs, but not necessarily good quality. I hope a few make it to freezing tomorrow.
DeleteYou don't have to be excited but I sure as hell am. Those embryos look amazing. It's going to happen this time; I feel it.
ReplyDeleteI really know nothing about embryos, but since everyone else seemed excited, they must be good. I hope you're right!
DeleteWow- those are two extraordinary looking blasts!!! It's amazing what a difference a great lab can make. I was blown away when I switched clinics before my last IVF. We went in determined to transfer 3 blasts as well and the doctor, nurse, and embryologist all talked us out of it b/c they were way too worried that all three would stick. We back down and transferred two and they both stuck! I'm praying the same happens for you and that some of your other 7 make it to freeze. Extra bonus of a 5 day transfer is that it's not a 2ww!!! You could actually test in 5-6 days. Take it easy and relax so you can focus on those blasts settling in.
ReplyDeleteThanks Eileen. Perhaps some of your luck will stick with me. I'm so nervous abut doing an HPT. Don't know if I'll do one this time.
DeleteCan I admit that this news made me cry with happiness for you? I am so so very happy that things are looking so promising for. Those are some sweet looking embryos xoxo
ReplyDeleteSending all the love and sticky vibes the universe has to offer your way!
You're too sweet. Thank you. As we both know, this journey is a craptastic one. I find that any time one of my blog mates is successful, I tear up too. For them and for me. Their success gives me hope. <3
DeleteThey are beautiful embabies!! I am praying the stick around for the long haul! Sending sticky vibes and hugs!!
ReplyDeleteThanks Michaela. Me too! I'm trying hard to not play those "what if" mind games. Just relaxing and pretending like nothing has happened.
Delete