Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Time

When you're dealing with infertility everything seems to be focused on time. There's a lot of waiting - waiting for appointments, waiting to start treatments, waiting for your period, waiting for those terrible two weeks, waiting for those two lines. Everything takes time. When you're close to hitting 40, time becomes your enemy. There simply isn't enough time. For the past three cycles, my periods have reduced to one full day of flow from my traditional three. Time is of the essence for me. I can see my fertility slipping away from me month by month. It scares me to death that I may never be a mother. I am terrified.

After months of procrastinating and putting it off, I finally called my clinic today to discuss my next FET. Since my original RE is gone, I was informed by the secretary that if it's been over 6 months, I would need to be referred by my family doctor, again. What? More waiting? That didn't seem right. Thankfully I had seen Dr. C. in September to discuss my October FET. I just snuck in under that 6 month rule. So March 26th, I'm in to see Dr. R. I've dealt with him quite a bit over the past year so I'm quite familiar with him. But March 26th? That seems so far away. Granted, the clinic is a doctor down with Dr.C's departure, but I was assured I would get in quite quickly.

Sweets and I have been chatting about babies and such these past few weeks. I think he is still convinced that we're going to get pregnant. If he has his doubts, he's not sharing them with me. Probably for the best as one of us has to have hope. With this next FET, we will have transferred 12 embryos. Twelve. Two fresh cycles and three frozen. If this FET doesn't work, then what?

When we first started down this path, we both agreed that we would give three IVF cycles a go. Last year was a tough year financially, so that 3rd cycle seemed unlikely. Now that Sweets' work has picked up again, cycle 3 seems possible. Granted, we will add a little bit more to our debt, but not like our last cycle.

But really how many cycles is enough? It's easy to see how this can be somewhat addictive because when do you let go of your dreams? How do you let go of it?

5 comments:

  1. You are so right that ART is addictive because there is so much hope involved. I swore I would only do 1 IVF, now I am getting ready to do my 3rd!

    We all get to that point where we need to draw the line on the sand in some way shape or form, and its entirely personal. The interesting thing is that it changes over time because IF is a process where we grow and our ideas change.

    So there is no easy answer -- you just have to look into your circunstance and see what works for you and ultimately what will give you peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does this new RE have a cancellation list? Ours did and we were able to get an appointment with him once a whole month earlier and the second time about a week earlier, which was still good.

    I also agree with sunflower that IF is a process, and I think only you will know when enough is enough, and nobody but you can answer that question. It is reassuring to know that Sweets has your back and holding onto hope.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Time is the biggest killer. I agree. If we didn't run out of eggs, if they didn't age with us, then I swear my stress would be halved about conceiving. I hit 35 within the week. Scared out of my brain, but I know my body is younger than that, and I never act my age! I don't care about wrinkles and saggy boobs, just save my eggs! Save them!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Time is a killer! I ran out and didn't even know it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Err. Waiting. I've become so impatient since I figured out I'm infertile.

    On the when do you stop, who knows. I've spent most of my savings. It was never about the money. At 80 I'd rather have been a mother than have a bank account.

    But for me money isn't the object. I can't do this much more. It's too difficult and I'm too miserable. I never would have thought that when I started.

    ReplyDelete